Child care dentistry
As a parent, we know you would rather prevent a dental problem for your children than treat one. Dental Central offers several types of treatments designed to keep your children’s teeth and gums healthy and disease-free.
- Fluoride treatments – Inhibits the demineralization of healthy enamel and enhances the re- mineralization of demineralized enamel. Topical treatments are particularly effective in reducing caries in children at caries risk.
- Dental sealants – Toothbrushes can’t reach all the way into the depressions and grooves of the teeth’s biting surfaces to remove all food and plaque. Sealants create a barrier for those surfaces to help keep them cavity-free.
- Counselling on proper nutrition and dietary habits.
- Proper brushing and flossing instruction.
- Guidance of erupting teeth – directing tooth eruption can improve orthodontic treatment results and can prevent the need for tooth extraction or more serious orthodontic treatment in the future.
- Custom Athletic Mouth Guards - We fabricate custom made athletic mouth guards for our patients. A custom fitted mouth guard will allow the child to breathe and speak easier, thus enabling them to wear it more to prevent injury
- Fillings and root canals in primary teeth if required
Correct brushing and flossing technique
Sports guards or athletic custom made mouth guards
You've no doubt heard that prevention is better than cure. Dental problems can become exponentially more expensive — and painful — the longer they go unaddressed. Fortunately, modern dentistry has many easy and relatively inexpensive ways to make sure that today's minor annoyance does not turn into tomorrow's major headache.
Preventive dentistry describes all the procedures used to arrest tooth decay and other diseases in the earliest stages. The goal is to keep you as healthy as possible and maintain your natural teeth for life. These are:
Scaling & Polishing. This is where dental health starts. There's just no substitute for physically removing disease-causing dental plaque and calculus (tartar) from your teeth — especially in hard-to-reach areas near the gum line. That's why regular professional cleanings are so important to your health every six months.
Dental Sealants. These invisible composite coatings fill the tiny grooves in back teeth so they do not become breeding ground for bacteria. They prevent cavities from forming and the need for fillings later on. These are now a must and the norm in growing kids these days to protect their newly erupted teeth.
Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride is readily incorporated into the teeth's mineral structure, making them stronger and more decay-resistant. Fluoride can even reverse tiny cavities that are starting to form. It can be applied directly to your teeth at the dental office in a short sitting. This is recommended for children as well and is usually well tolerated by them as the fluroide gel comes in a variety of fun flavours.
Mouthguards. Sports mouthguards are designed to absorb and distribute the forces of impact and minimize traumatic injury to both the hard and soft tissues of the mouth. These are customised by us to fit perfectly and are recommended for kids and people who take an active part in sports activities.
Oral Cancer Screenings. Your best chance of surviving oral cancer — a disease that affects not only lifelong smokers but also young non-smokers — is early detection and treatment. Oral cancer screenings are a routine part of every regular dental exam.
X-Rays. For around a century, dentists have been using x-rays to reveal signs of disease not visible to the naked eye. Now, with CAT scans, they have become three-dimensional and are an indispensable tool to diagnose tooth decay, gum disease, bone density, bone volume and tumors.